When to see a Chiropodist or Podiatrist

People call a regulated foot specialist for help diagnosing and treating a wide array of foot and ankle problems. Please see a licensed chiropodist or podiatrist if you experience one of the following:

  • Persistent pain in your feet or ankles.
  • Changes in the nails or skin on your foot.
  • Severe cracking, scaling, or peeling on the heel or foot.
  • Blisters on your feet.
  • There are signs of bacterial infection, including:
    o   Increased pain, swelling, redness, tenderness, or heat.
    o   Red streaks extending from the affected area.
    o   Discharge or pus from an area on the foot.
    o   Foot or ankle symptoms that do not improve after two weeks of treatment with a nonprescription product.
    Spreading of an infection from one area of the foot to another, such as under the nail bed, skin under the nail, the nail itself, or the surrounding skin.
    o   Thickening toenails that cause discomfort. Heel pain accompanied by a fever, redness (sometimes warmth), or numbness; tingling in the heel; persistent heel pain without putting any weight or pressure on your heel; or pain that is not alleviated by ice or over-the-counter painkillers (such as aspirin, ibuprofen or acetaminophen).

Copyright 2019
Canadian Federation of Podiatric Medicine

3390 South Service Road, Suite 305

Burlington, ON L7N 3J5
Ph: (905) 331-5227
Email: office@cfpmcanada.ca

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software